Pages

Monday, January 21, 2013

New Caledonia: Running around Noumea

On last friday in Vanuatu, I again scratched open a mosquito bite on the under leg. And it got infected again. Two days ago, I thought it will go away by itself, so didnt bother much and went running. I guess this was an absolutly bad idea. Yesterday it went very worse and so I went to the doc in the morning, as simple walking around really started to hurt. He gave me antibiotics. Seems to be the same infection as I had in the Solomon Islands! I hate that! It destroys my plan for tomorrows diving activity and other plans for the next days. For friday, I reserved a car to drive around New Caledonia. Hopefully on Saturday my leg will be much better, so that I will be able to go diving on the east coast somewhere….

By today morning, my leg looks terrible. It was swollen nearly to the double size and it burnt like hell! I read little bit in the internet about the causes of it and found out that it might be something like “elephantitis”, a typical tropics infection! It is probably caused by the remaining bacteria in the leg, from the last time in the Solomon islands. When I imagine what now in my leg is going on, then it makes me little bit scary! Now its evening and the leg seems to be already a bit better. Hopefully it is going to heal completely, and, very SOON!!
But for sure I never ever will scratch again any mosquito bite!! I guarantee!! I also remember when I was in PNG and talked to this crocodile hunter, he told me a story from the 1970's, when he had something like that. I just thought – “yeah that wont happen to me!” – and now it happened! But his story was horrible. Cause he was in the 1970's jungle and had no hospital or anything around, he had to put his leg into nearly boiling hot water to kill the bacteria…. Autsch…!!

Today I jumped into a bus and just drove somewhere i-don’t-know. Somewhere direction south! Cause it was the same road on which I was running two days ago, I wanted to find out where exactly I was running along and for how many kilometers - it felt like a half marathon distance :)

No comments:

Post a Comment