Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

Hervey Bay: White Shark vs. Frasier Island

Im in Hervey Bay now, which is the so called departure place to the famous Fraser Island – the biggest sand island in the world and, as advertisement says, with some of the most beautiful beaches on the planet. But advertisements anyway always speak too much, dont they?

 Actually I wanted to go there today - with my own car. But when I was at the tourist information to ask for transfer fees over there, I had to hold back my eyes from falling out of the eye socket! So I decided to cancel this plan. And in all objectivity, its just an island – with sun, sand, water, wild dogs! Ok, the 4x4 driving on the sand dunes would have been a lot of fun, but, its anyway just an island and in my opinion definitively too expensive getting there, for just one day!


Intead I went for a 10km morning run along the Hervey Bay Esplanade. Its the first time
Ive been running since departure in beginning of september. As a reward to my body, i went having lunch at a seafood restaurant and had awesome barramundi and chips! Later the day I was in some kind of shark information center. The center is run by the famous Australian shark fisher "Hislop Vic", who is fighting for the legalization of big white and tiger shark fishing! In the center, all the walls are fully plastered with shark ivories from whitesharks, tigersharks, bullsharks and other “weapons” of small and big underwater creatures.

The main attraction is a real dead white shark in an air conditioned glass container! Tha HELL! This beast is huge!!!! I read a lot about white sharks and saw many documentations and reportages, but, I never ever imagined how frightening that fish might be in reality - even it was just a dead one!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment