Pages

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Solomon Is: Getting to Munda by ship? Really?

Since yesterday afternoon im in Munda. As i wrote, i came with the ship from Gizo. In addition to my cough and headache, the trip made my nerves literally running wild and i was in the mood to punch the ship crew members into the eye :)!! Why? They didn't drop me off in Munda. Well, every little hillbilly village in the Solomon Island has a wharf, and especially Munda, one famous and "important" city of the Solomons. So how should i know that the ship doesnt drive to the Munda wharf, but instead stops for some minutes somewhere out in the ocean to give the passengers a chance switching to a little motorboat, which should have been the taxi to the Munda wharf? The ship stoped on every other wharf and also will stop on every incoming little wharf along the way. Except Munda! Thanks ship crew, for letting me, the only white tourist on the boat knowing that - afterwards.
 

Ship to Munda
Finally they dropped me off on the next stop. A little tiny backwoods village called "Ugele" - where the moon is no more far away. From there i had to organize the way back to Munda by myself. Fortunately I found someone who was preparing his motorcanoe for driving the 1 hour trip to Munda in the middle of the early afternoon sun. I didnt ate anything the whole day and just drunk a little bit of water. My nerves - the heat - the cough - it wasnt easy. And as a cream topping of the glourious day, about a half kilometer before the Munda wharf the canoe run out of petrol and we had to paddle the remaining distance.

And today i had to solve another obstacle. My visa was expired on december 23. As i didnt have any chance the last days getting any answer from the immigration department, today was the first time i reached them. One of the 5 numbers picked up the phone after calling them 300 times. Of course they couldnt help me, but as sometimes the irony plays crazy games, I met today the former CEO of the immigration dept in the guesthouse and it seems he can helping me to solve my visa problem. All i have to do now is showing up on monday in the departement in Honiara.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment